Monday, December 15, 2014

There's power in a name- for 15 years


I read a post once by Beth Moore, and she spoke of the power in a name.
(I can't find the post, or I would be more than thrilled to link it)

So, she spoke of naming a child. And how many times your name will be spoken over the course of your lifetime.
How the name can bring power, and force, and it can draw a sense of peace, every time it is spoken in love.

I never gave it any thought.

Well, not to the power of his name.
The only thing I knew was that it would be a strong name. One that could stand on it's own. And not be shortened. No nick names. No pet names. Nothing.
Just one solid name.

That's the only requirement/thought I had.

Oh. but no!

Chapman Taylor Smith was named in the throws of the Operation Room, as I was strapped to the operating table, I am certain my C-section incision had not yet been closed.

He was about 1 second old.
We had determined that we would name him once we met him, and we loved him, and we "knew" him.
Yes, we were those parents.
Yes, we were just dumb enough to think that some baby-naming power would come over us in the St Vincent's hospital room, and we would miraculously have the all-perfect name for our child.

Gimme a break.
The nurse asked "do we have a name, Dad?" and Scott erupted with "Chapman Taylor Smith!!! Welcome to the world Chapman Taylor! We love you!"

As I nearly broke the restraints of the surgical equipment "THAT IS NOT HIS NAME!!! WE DON'T HAVE A NAME!!!"

Oh yes, indeed we did!
He was immediately Chapman.
His footprints were inked by the glorious black inkpad, and BAM! It's a boy!
Chapman Taylor Smith.
Named after a christian singer (Steven Curtis Chapman) and Scott's favorite guitar (a Taylor).

Oh yes! A powerful name :)

And within about 3 more seconds, he was my little Chappy!
And then later, in his toddler years, he was my little ChapChap!

And when I woke him up early in the morning to take his brother to school...it was Chappy-doodle doo!!!!

(and then in the 7th grade, on the first day of school, he decided to tell all of his teachers at the new school that his name was Jimmy. Oh yes, and they fell for it! Good grief!)

I digress.

Oh yes, that's right! A good strong name! The stand alone kind! :)

What in the world! I am a hot-mess of a mother!

And this kid! He owns the power of the name.
I don't think there could be another Chappy! Not one of his strength, and confidence, and colorful spirit, and light-heartedness!

He's one of a kind!

And I pray that as his name is called (whatever version of Chapman Taylor Smith that is)---I pray that with each day, he owns it just a little bit more, and by the end of his days, he is a Mighty Warrior for the sweet Lord above that gave him to us for a season!

I love this kiddo to bits!

Chappy Birthday (see what I did there!)


 
He hashtagged Oprah Winfrey. Who does that?!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Some things you might like!!